Monday, October 4, 2010

Easy and Inexpensive Ikea table hack

Happy Monday everybody!

I measured the dimensions of my room the other day and to my great surprise, it measures 12.4 ft long and 8 ft. wide - so that's why it's feeling a little cramped in here! It all makes sense now, and in my great haste to have it furnished immediately upon move-in, I made a few hasty decisions on furniture where I now wish I'd just bought a bed and taken my time to find the other things - but Ikea was offering $69 delivery within 100 miles...gosh, I really am a sucker sometimes.

Since space is limited, I'm working on how I can creatively and inexpensively make the most of mine. How many jutty-outty things I can limit and keep close to the walls, and off the floor entirely. So I'm thinking, floating shelves, yes! Some kind of wire hiding box because wires are ugly (thank goodness Ikea has one here for $10)! Would it be possible to convert my Vika Amon desk into fold-up retractable desk? I dare do say it's possible (see how one guy made a retractable side table using the Lack coffee table on the Ikea Hacker blog).

The walls are white and kinda bad looking, for the first time I wasn't going to paint - but it's getting to me, this room NEEDS some wall lurrrve.

Stay tuned for before and after pics! Coming soon. 

2 comments:

  1. You are talking like a real New Yorker. You are thinking about how to make the most of small spaces. Furniture that expands, stuff on rollers, cubbyholes in closets, etc.
    What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes an abundance of space can lead to fast-food decorating and we end up buying more "things" just to fill it up, it's easy to forget about function.

    ReplyDelete