Monday, September 6, 2010

Newbie in New York

I landed in Newark on Wednesday night, and thus my NYC journey/adventure has begun! It's been a rollercoaster of emotions and experiences over the last 5 days so far.

Day 1 - Scared shitless. What have I gotten myself into? Will I like it here in Ameeeeerica? WTF, I don't know where anything is or where I am, lol. I wondered if this is what it could feel like to be blind, not knowing where you are or where you're going... I missed my mom a lot that day. Mommy!

Day 2 - Feeling a little bit better. Phil and I went to see Inception at the movies in Battery Park City. Crazy film, I kept imagining what New York would look like if it folded over itself like Paris in the movie. We were crossing the street and saw the sweetest thing ever, a dog jumped up to kiss a police horse's nose and they were both sniffing eachother's noses. Cutest thing ever.

Day 3 - I think I can do this. Chug chug chug, I think I can, I think I can... Phil took me to the Sunset Park neighbourhood of Brooklyn. I think I could live here. Sunset Park is very latino and people were out and about with their families, men were playing cards and dominoes in the park, kids swinging on swings, Spanish being spoken everywhere, reggaeton blaring from car stereos. Sunset Park is on a hill, and from the top of the park in Sunset Park, you get a fantastic view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty off in the distance. We also explored the super-gentrified/baby stroller central of Park Slope. Lots of neat shops, great restaurants and lots of baby strollers.

Day 4 - We went to Jones Beach in Long Island (pronounced "Lawn-guylland") for the day with my cousin and her girlfriend. It was windy still from Hurricane Earl having passed through the day before and the water was quite wavy, a bit too cool to swim but it was plenty sunny, and my nose got plenty of sun. Later we got some "greazzy drippins" from Wendy's and then had Japanese ice cream in the East Village. Walked down St.Mark's Place and saw lots of neat vintage boutiques I'm definitely going to have to go back and check out.

Day 5 - It's Labour Day. No America, I will not give up my "u" in Labour Day :). Lol. Feeling really good about being here, excited to see some apartments, Craigslist can be a bore when people don't get back to you, but it's all good. I think it's gonna be good living here. Now, to find a place that is bedbug-free.

More to come...

3 comments:

  1. yayyyy xtiina, i hope you can get a place in Sunset Park, it sounds magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hei Kristiina, your NY posts are great! Good, peppy writing! If you want to sound like a real New Yorker, remember it's "on" Lawn-guylland, not "in"! I grew up 15 minutes from Jones Beach, so you were visiting my weekend playground!

    Good luck on finding a place, esp. one w/o bedbugs! They're all over the city right now! :(

    Jõudu sulle! Kirjuta palju veel!

    kalli-kalli,
    Marga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa: I ended up finding a place in Windsor Terrace (Brooklyn). :) Miss you lots! When are you coming to visit?

    Marga: Ahh, "on" Long Island, good to know. :) Jones Beach was like a world away from the hustle/bustle of the city, really gorgeous. That's so neat!

    I looked up every address of the places I saw on bedbugregistry.com to ensure there were no reports of bed bugs at those addresses. Fingers crossed we never have to deal with them! They closed the Niketown store the other day for fumigation...

    Thank you for the encouragement with the blogging, I will continue to write more.

    ReplyDelete